Re: tlug: (More) Problem(s) with Sony PCG-N505 - a solution

I just wrote,

> ** N505 - An Installation Odyssey, Episode II
>
> Ok, I got Linux installed on that beast, but the next
> problem already occured during the reboot directly after the
> install:
>
>   VFS: Cannot open root device 00:30
>   Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 00:30
[...]
> If I understand the device encoding correctly, 00:30 is
> /dev/hda (not /dev/hda2).  Interestingly, when I run
>
>   lilo -v -v -v
>
> it says that it added `linux' with "ro root=302", which
> seems correct to me.  How can the boot loader ignore this?
> (I have lilo 0.21, which seems to be the latest version.)

If I add

  append="mem=128M"

to lilo.conf, the system boots fine.  Strangely enough, when
I used `linux root=/dev/hda2' to boot, the system
automatically recognized that there are 128MB (new BIOSes
don't have the 64MB limitation, as far as I know) and used
them correctly.  Can this be a bug in lilo (or maybe the
BIOS)?

Manuel *puzzled*
Next Technical Meeting: August 14 (Sat), 13:00  place: Temple Univ.
*** Special guest: Marc Christensen (Salt Lake Linux Users Group)
Next Nomikai: September 20 (Fri), 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691