Re: tlug: PC Semi

Apologies if anyone already replied to this and I didn't notice.

On Thu, 1 Jul 1999, Jordi S.B. wrote:

> I've been trying to boot Linux on a NEC machine, without sucess. I'm blaming a weird stuff that it has on its top, called PC Semi, also from NEC. It lets another computer watch my screen, remote control my PC, and some other things. Have anyone heard about it? I saw it in television, looks like is popular in schools in Japan. I really don't have a lot of information on the computer itself right now, but I now it is not and 286. It may be microchannel.
>
> Well, my question is, in what kind of circunstances Linux will not boot, and will not display a thing ? I mean, after putting the image on a floppy, trying with LILO and with Loadlin, all I get is a black screen, and no hd activity.

I hope this isn't an insultingly basic question, but is this an NEC PC-98
machine?  By it's age, I imagine it must be.  If it is, and you don't have an
NEC PC-98 Linux port, that would explain it.  The only possible source I know
of for one of those is the Kyoto University Microcomputer Club did/was doing
one.  TLUG had a beta CD of it in the library last year (maybe still do, I'm
not sure), but I don't know if anyone ever actually made it work.  I hear it
was pretty rough.

Jonathan

Next Technical Meeting: July 10 (Sat), 13:00  place: Temple Univ.
*** Topic: High Performance JAVA, by Matt Welsh
Next Nomikai: August 20 (Fri), 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691