Re: tlug: Lynx and japanese characters

    Fredric> Alberto Tomita wrote:
    >> character_set=Japanese (EUC)

    Fredric> Now all I have to do is to figure out _why_ it
    Fredric> works. This is a mystery to me since lynx uses ncurses
    Fredric> and ncurses does not support wide character sets (yet?).

This is an artifact of good design on the part of the ISO 2022 crowd
and a little artistry by the font designers.  ncurses can happily
treat EUC as a byte stream because of the GL/GR design; the Japanese
characters don't cause any problems as long as it's 8-bit clean.

ncurses gets the character positioning right by the simple expedient
of making characters with 1-byte codes half as wide as characters with
2-byte codes, and using a linear unit == 1 halfwidth character width.

Next Technical Meeting: July 10 (Sat), 13:00  place: Temple Univ.
*** Topic: High Performance JAVA, by Matt Welsh
Next Nomikai: August 20 (Fri), 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691