Re: tlug: A couple of VmWare observations

> On Sat, 26 Jun 1999, Dennis McMurchy wrote:
>
> >Am I missing something, though, or is there no way to move whole files
> >back and forth except via floppy (I mean when running on a virtual, not
> >a raw disk, of course)?
>
> Again, I have yet to try this, but how about FTP?  Since Windows in the VM
> has a separate and distinct IP address from the host (ain't that cool?!
> :-)  ) and VMWare is emulating a NIC which has that IP address, you should
> be able to FTP between them, or even telnet.  I believe Linux should view
> this just like any other FTP connection.  Let me know if it works.
>
> There's probably no way to directly copy from Linux to Win or vice versa,
> since the Windows partition is kept inside of a container file.

Although vmware is pretty strident about not wanting to support shared
writeable disk partitions, network based filesystems intended for data
sharing work fine.  More elegant than ftp is to run samba on the linux
machine.  Or run an NFS client stack on the windows machine.  Or use a
multiprotocol file server for everything.

FWIW, my home directory is on a multiprotocol (NFS/CIFS) filer (of
obvious manufacture :-).  Linux, of course, just accesses via nfs.  Way
cool, however, is that my vmware window running NT sees the same home
directory just fine via CIFS.  Now when I receive an obnoxious ms-office
attachment, I just save it to a file and view it in the vmware window.
Slick.

Regards,
--
Rex
Next Technical Meeting: July 10 (Sat), 13:00  place: Temple Univ.