tlug: Some problems with RedHat 6.0

  I've been experimenting for a while now with RedHat 6.0 - mostly
tinkering with the Vmware virtual machines, which continue to impress
me.  Last weekend I upgraded my motherboard, and this broke my
long-serving Slackware 3.1 installation (which has no U2W Scsi
support).  I thought this was as good a time as any to finally move
over to RedHat.

  Once I got a few things set up the way I like them - like an xterm with
letters you can actually read without a magnifying glass - I've been
finding the new Gnome+Enlightenment environment OK.  One thing, though,
really has become an annoyance (wasn't like that in the beginning):
instead of just starting up promptly, Gnome+Enlightenment seems to just
hang at a number of points and to take minutes (or at least vastly
longer than it should) to start up.  When I abort such a startup with
Ctrl-Alt-Backspace, I have seen the following message on the character
terminal:

GnomeUI-WARNING **: While connecting to session manager:
Authentication Rejected, reason : MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 authentication rejected.
gnome-smproxy: unable to connect to session manager
While connecting to session manager:
Authentication Rejected, reason : MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 authentication rejected.

  I suspect that the root-cause of the problem is right there for the
seeing, but I'm completely unfamiliar with this newer GUI.  What do I
need to do?

  The only other surprising problem that I've encountered is with
the RedHat-modified useradd program.  This seems to put the password
into /etc/shadow in the right place, but in _plain text_!  So, of course,
it's completely unusable.  I expect a few rough edges in 6.0, but this
seems a bit much.  At least it's not hard to work around.

  Finally, I'm about to launch into adding Japanese (and perhaps also
Chinese) support to my RedHat setup.  I had things working nicely
(Wnn, kterm, jvim) under Slackware 3.1, but I'm not sure how much will
port over to the new environment (most of what I've moved over so far
hasn't needed recompiling).   And then there's the Japanese support
stuff on the pre-release of RH6.0 from Laser 5 that Alberto Tomita
kindly sent along to a number of us.  Any tips on using that or
anything else (like the .rpm packages from RH5.2) would be much
appreciated.

  Sure is raining down here in Kyushu!

Dennis McMurchy,
Sointula, B.C. / Tojinmachi, Fukuoka
Canada           Japan

Next Technical Meeting: July 10 (Sat), 13:00  place: Temple Univ.
*** Topic: High Performance JAVA, by Matt Welsh
Next Nomikai: August 20 (Fri), 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691