tlug: Re: Rh 'Enter your own' glitch

On Wed, 9 Jun 1999, Jonathan Byrne wrote:

> <RANT> you'd think that after all this time, xf86config would
> comprehend the existence of Japanese keyboards and that after all this
> time RH would fix their installer so that "Enter your own" for the
> monitor specs really meant that, instead of choosing ranges of numbers
> that fit no monitor I've ever used</RANT>

  I can still remember in the summer of '95 spending the better part of
an afternoon (or was it a whole day?) getting an xf86config tweaked
into shape to finally give me a 320x200 X Window System - and I felt
triumphant when it finally worked!

  So this almost completely automatic X setup with RH 5.2 and 6.0
(never tried any earlier flavours) impresses the hell out of me.  Still,
this "Enter your own" glitch is a surprising and annoying fly in the
ointment, isn't it?

Dennis McMurchy,
Sointula, B.C. / Tojinmachi, Fukuoka
Canada           Japan

Next Technical Meeting: June 19 (Sat), 18:30  place: Temple Univ.
*** Topic: Linux SMP/Quad Xeon Server
Next Nomikai: July 16 (Fri), 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691