tlug: Re: kinput2+canna problem (plus unrelated

YAMAGATA Hiroo wrote:

> John, I notice that you use gnome. The problem may lie with Gnome. Gnome's
> XIM stuff is extremely unstable, and kinput2 dies on me everytime I exit
> kterm. Could you give it a without gnome?

Thanks, you're absolutly right. I played around with starting and
stopping various processes and found out that it was gmc (the gnome file
manager) that was causing the problem. If I open the two of them at the
same time in the same X session, BOOM! no more X session.

Not using gnome is ok with me as I don't really have much use for most
of the stuff that's included. It's pretty neat, it has a lot of
potential, I think, but for the time being, it doesn't really seem to
add much to the experience except occasionally making X go belly up.

I kind of liked the desktop file manager that gmc provided, though, and
I'd like to use it. Probably what I'll do is write a little shell script
that kills off any gmc processes, starts kinput2, opens a kterm, and
then makes sure that kinput2 is gone before starting the gmc stuff
again. It seems like that would work nicely (although how nicely remains
to be seen.)

Still, even with all of the gnome stuff gone, kinput2 does some wacky
stuff. For example, if it's running, several programs segfault when I
try to start them. Among them xterm, xemacs (with mule and canna
support), and a number of others. Actually, most everything else. Any
ideas as to why this might be or where I should look?

thanks again.

john
Next Nomikai: May 26 (Wed), 19:00 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
*** Special guest: Eric S. Raymond
Next Technical Meeting: June 19 (Sat), 12:30  place: Temple Univ.
Topic: Linux SMP and the Intel SC450NX Quad Xeon Server platform