Re: tlug: hostname setting of samba

    Tetsuji> setting had been working fine.  However, since I upgraded
    Tetsuji> my linux from RH5.2 to Rh 6.0, I have a problem in
    Tetsuji> executing sendmail daemon on booting.

Tetusji,

	This sounds like a DNS problem. If you wait long enough, the
DNS lookup will timeout and sendmail should continue.

You can either fix your DNS, or prevent named from starting. You will
probably find a symbolic link in /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/S55named to
/etc/rc.d/init.d/named. remove the link and named ( DNS ) will not
start. You'll want put your host name back to 10.0.0.1 for samba.

    Tetsuji> sendmail.  I suspected the hostname tetsu should be
    Tetsuji> wrong, and changed the ip address to 127.0.0.1.  Now
    Tetsuji> sendmail has no problem on booting.  However, this time
    Tetsuji> samba has a problem.  smbclient -L tetsu gives correct
    Tetsuji> information on Linux machine, however, it cannot be
    Tetsuji> referred to from the yuki (Win98) as tetsu.

Anything sent to 127.x.x.x is seen only on the local machine. Be
convention, the address 127.0.0.1 is defined as "localhost" in
/etc/hosts.

Hope this helps.

	Andy

Next Nomikai: May 26 (Wed), 19:30                        Place: TBD
*** Special guest: Eric S. Raymond
Next Technical Meeting: June 12 (Sat), 12  :30   place: Temple Univ.