tlug: TCP/IP dead end

I have tried endless things on my machine with kernel 2.2.x and am
close to giving up.  I've recompiled everything under 2.2.x with the
latest versions, tried different setup scripts, different kernel
configurations, set up the routing and interface configurations
manually, and still it fails at exactly the same point.

I can connect to my ISP fine with pppd and chat, and successfully ping
any remote host I care.  The ability to ping in this way tells me that

1) The kernel IP stuff is working fine.  My understanding is ping uses
ICMP sitting on top of IP.
2) Name lookup is working fine, too as I can specify hosts by their
domain name. I believe DNS is a TCP/IP service, so it would appear
that kernel TCP is also OK.

My problem is that other TIP/IP protocols like FTP, HTTP and telnet
don't work (these are the only things on top of TCP/IP I've tried).
For example, if I telnet my ISP's popmail domain under 2.0.36 I get:-

[neil@example.com neil]$ telnet popmail.gol.com 110
Trying 203.216.5.31...
Connected to pp.mail.gol.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
+OK popproxy - version 1.15 started.

Under 2.2.x the difference is I don't get the +OK line back.  It just
seems to wait.  However, my modem shows incoming data for a couple of
seconds.  Similarly for Netscape and FileRunner's FTP, regardless of
the destination host.  I've tried "ping"-ing with larger packets of
500+ bytes to see if maybe packet size was the problem, but it does
not appear to be.

I'm at a complete loss as to what the problem could be.  I would
appreciate any ideas about what else I could / should try.  Observing
my modem and the running applications, a connection with the remote
host is established, and packets are returned, but the application in
question does not seem to receive them.  Is the kernel swallowing
them?  Why could this be?

Cheers,

Neil.
Next Nomikai: TBD                    Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
Next Technical Meeting: June 12 (Sat), 12  :30   place: Temple Univ.