Re: tlug: IP "refresh" (cable modem/router)

    Atlas21> Yes, the router (cable modem) uses DHCP to grab an IP
    Atlas21> address from the DHCP server (if I am not mistaken).

This is from DHCP FAQ:
http://web.syr.edu/~jmwobus/comfaqs/dhcp.faq.html

  18.  How do I make a client give up its lease?

     This is a general question, but the answer is of necessity specific to
     the client-implementation. Naturally, one way to avoid the problem is to
     keep leases short enough that you are not obliged to do this.
        o One method mentioned is to temporarily change the clock on the
          client.
        o For a Win95 client, the winipcfg.exe program can do it.

- dk

    Atlas21> I was wondering about how linux goes about
    Atlas21> renewing/refreshing (my japanese win95 says "henshin")
    Atlas21> the IP.

    Atlas21> I'm not sure I understood what do you mean by
    Atlas21> 'renewing/refreshing', is this about dynamic IP address
    Atlas21> obtained from ISP?

    Atlas21> If so why do you want to renew it?

    Atlas21> With win95, I have this gui that comes up when I run
    Atlas21> winipcfg, and I can just click on henshin and that is it.

    Atlas21> What should I do with Linux to get the same results? What
    Atlas21> is the linux equivalent of winipcfg?

    Atlas21> (I have a "dynamic" IP that just happens to stay the same
    Atlas21> most of the time since the IP is fairly small and I am
    Atlas21> online almost constantly.)

    Atlas21> Thanks in advance,

    Atlas21> shawn gray

    Atlas21> -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Atlas21> Next Nomikai: TBD Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691 Next
    Atlas21> Technical Meeting: June 12 (Sat), 12 :30 place: Temple
    Atlas21> Univ.
    Atlas21> -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Atlas21> more info: http://www.tlug.gr.jp Sponsor: Global Online
    Atlas21> Japan
    Atlas21> -------------------------------------------------------------
    Atlas21> Dmytro Kovalev Tokyo FI UNIX SA, Consultant E-mail:
    Atlas21> dmytro.kovalev@example.com
    Atlas21> --------------------------------------------------------------
    Atlas21> -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Atlas21> Next Nomikai: TBD Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691 Next
    Atlas21> Technical Meeting: June 12 (Sat), 12 :30 place: Temple
    Atlas21> Univ.
    Atlas21> -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Atlas21> more info: http://www.tlug.gr.jp Sponsor: Global Online
    Atlas21> Japan

    Atlas21>  -=- MIME -=-
    Atlas21> --0__=JVmpqLhmSKh93ljseK5Dc55XRMpKJM2lwaIgzL7Pxjokq5h7ukLF0b5H
    Atlas21> Content-type: text/plain; charset=iso-2022-jp
    Atlas21> Content-Disposition: inline

    Atlas21> The ISP sets the IP to "expire" after a certain amount of
    Atlas21> time. I'm not sure if this is only because it is an
    Atlas21> Ethernet connection, or what. But in a network, you can
    Atlas21> set the time limit in which an IP will expire. This is
    Atlas21> often due to having more users than available IP
    Atlas21> addresses.

    Atlas21> So when "cable guy" came to install the line/router, he
    Atlas21> told me to hit refresh (in windows) once per hour. Now,
    Atlas21> once per hour seemed a lot to me, but after some reading
    Atlas21> on the net, I saw that it is not too uncommon for some
    Atlas21> ISPs to set the expiry to every 15 minutes or 1/2 an
    Atlas21> hour, etc. I think its done to make sure that you are
    Atlas21> active online and not hogging the address that could go
    Atlas21> to others. Kind of like an ISP dropping a dialup
    Atlas21> connection if there is no activity after a certain amount
    Atlas21> of time. Especially in Japan with a cable modem, most
    Atlas21> people would want to be online all the time. The ISP
    Atlas21> expires the IP in order to keep you from having a
    Atlas21> virtually static IP address without paying extra for the
    Atlas21> service. :-)

    Atlas21> sgray

    Atlas21> Dmytro Kovalev <Dmytro.Kovalev@example.com> on 99/04/20
    Atlas21> 11:18:28

    Atlas21> tlug@example.com’Ħ’¥Ò’ÄÌ’¥è’ÄÁ’¥ç’Ħ’¥­’Ħ’¥Ë’Ħ’¥Ã’Ħ’¥¿’Ħ’¥ª’Ħ’¡¢

    Atlas21> ’IJ’¥¯’ÄÂ? tlug@example.com cc: kovald@example.com (bcc:
    Atlas21> Atlas21 Shawn/OIPQA/Canon Inc/JP)’Ĺ?’¥Õ’¥»: Re: tlug: IP
    Atlas21> "refresh" (cable modem/router)

    Atlas21> --0__=JVmpqLhmSKh93ljseK5Dc55XRMpKJM2lwaIgzL7Pxjokq5h7ukLF0b5H
    Atlas21> Content-type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
> [...]

    Atlas21> -------------------------------------------------------------
    Atlas21> Dmytro Kovalev Tokyo FI UNIX SA, Consultant E-mail:
    Atlas21> dmytro.kovalev@example.com
    Atlas21> --------------------------------------------------------------
    Atlas21> -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Atlas21> Next Nomikai: TBD Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691 Next
    Atlas21> Technical Meeting: June 12 (Sat), 12 :30 place: Temple
    Atlas21> Univ.
    Atlas21> -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Atlas21> more info: http://www.tlug.gr.jp Sponsor: Global Online
    Atlas21> Japan

    Atlas21> Next Nomikai: TBD Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691 Next
    Atlas21> Technical Meeting: June 12 (Sat), 12 :30 place: Temple
Dmytro Kovalev
Tokyo FI UNIX SA, Consultant
E-mail: dmytro.kovalev@example.com
Next Nomikai: TBD                    Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
Next Technical Meeting: June 12 (Sat), 12  :30   place: Temple Univ.