Re: tlug: Intranet + Internet DNS

On Fri, 2 Apr 1999, Subba Rao wrote:

> I have asked this question once before.
>
> I have my DNS working, I would like to be able to
> resolv the Intranet servers address (not my bogus domain
> addresses). Is this possible?
>
> I have the Intranet servers, mentioned in the /etc/resolv.conf.
> I am sure it is a little bit more involving. Applications like netscape
> and ping are not finding the Intranet servers. If I specify the IP address,
> it works fine (for ping) , but with the fully qualified Intranet name, nothing works.
>
> Thank you in advance for any help and pointers.

well, while I would personally use NIS internally here, it's not too
difficult to do what you want to do.

Set up a BIND 8 nameserver on your LAN, and in its /etc/named.conf, have
something like this (assume your ISP's nameserver is 12.3.4.5):

options {
	forwarders { 12.3.4.5; };
	allow-query { 192.168.1.0/24; };
};

zone "internal.org" {
	type master;
	file "db.internal";
	allow-transfer { none; };
};

also make sure you have a cache zone set up.
Then, just have all your hosts on your LAN use exclusively this nameserver
that you've just set up.

As I said before, though, for a small network, NIS is probably easier to
maintain.

Scott M. Stone <sstone@example.com>

*** featuring: LabView and UDB/DB2 for Linux
Next Nomikai: May 21 (Fri), 19:30    Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691