RE: tlug: help with Diamond Viper 330 card

>> I am using xf86Setup to configure XWindows. I choose the Diamond Viper
330
>> adaptor and SVGA server, but when xf86Setup saves the setup and trys to
run,
>> the whole screen just goes blank.
>
>I have two Viper 330 cards running under Linux and they do auto-probe
>successfully under TurboLinux.   It may be that either 1) The monitor
>specs you are supplying are ones that can't actually be met by your
>monitor and/or the card, or 2) SuperProbe is sick.
>

>Try this:  since you know you have a Viper 330, instead of having it
>probe for the card, choose the card from the list instead, then
>configure your monitor.  If it isn't on the monitor list (or even if it
>is, you might want to try this), check the documentation for the
>monitor's horizontal and vertical sync rates and enter that information.
>See if that works.

Yes, I guess it could be the monitor. I don't have the manual which lists
the sync rates, so I have been just setting it to the lowest settings. The
monitor is a brand new Mitsubishi RD15M2 monitor, so I thought that as long
as it wasn't set above its ability, it would work. Am I wrong in this
assumption?

>It's also possible to manually edit XF86Config (in /etc/X11 on my
>systems), but I've never tried that myself and can't offer any advise on
>that.  My machine at work doesn't have a Viper, or I'd send you a copy
>of XF86Config.  If you still don't have it fixed by tonight, I could
>email it from home.

I'll try the XF86Configure program and see if I can get better results. I
was avoiding it, because I don't know how to get it to use a JPN106
keyboard, whereas the XF86Setup has the Japanese keyboard option which I can
choose from the menu. If I knew my way around Linux well enough, then I
suppose I could edit the file directly to fix the keyboard, but I wouldn't
know what to edit at this point yet, without guidance.

David Walter
Kobe, Japan
warrior@example.com

*** featuring: LabView and UDB/DB2 for Linux
Next Nomikai: May 21 (Fri), 19:30    Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691