Re: tlug: Installing gcc?

Hello.

I have done this before on an alpha machine we had at the lab and also
a cray superserver on which I had no superuser privileges at all. The
reason for doing this on the alpha machine was that the first person
that installed the system had divided the harddisk so that the /home
directory had tonnes of space but the /usr area had very little space
left. I installed make gas ld binutils and gcc using the --prefix
option in most cases (I think).

Good luck.

Hajime Saito

>     Darren> Can a normal user install gcc, e.g. into his own user
>     Darren> directories? Or do you need to be root?
>
> If you can configure and build it specifically for that installation,
> you should have no problem.  If you want to install binaries compiled
> elsewhere, it would likely be a real hassle as gcc uses lots of
> auxiliary programs which are _not_ on the path, but have locations
> hardcoded into gcc.  To a great extent this can be worked around using
> the `-B' switch (in fact that is how the same gcc can be used for
> multiple targets) but I don't know how successful that will be for
> your application.  I think you would probably be OK with some trial
> and error.
>
> You will also have to install the GNU binutils in most cases.  gcc
> outputs code targeted for gas, and GNU ld has features not available
> on many system lds.  Finally, if you plan to build other GNU products,
> you'll also most likely need GNU make, although I think Sun's make now
> supports vpath to some degree, which is the most prominent feature of
> GNU make that other makes don't have.
*** featuring: LabView and UDB/DB2 for Linux
Next Nomikai: May 21 (Fri), 19:30    Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691