Re: tlug: Q: Scanner and Linux

I am sorry I wrote something that somehow didn't make sense with
further explanation.

Manuel M. T. Chakravarty writes:
 > Kei Furuuchi <kfur@example.com> wrote,
 >
 > > Manuel M. T. Chakravarty writes:
 > >  > Does
 > >  > anybody have experience with using scanners from Linux and
 > >  > in particular using SANE's xscanimage from within GIMP to do
 > >  > the scans?
 > >
 > > I use Canon CanoScan 300 now under Sane and Gimp. I bought the flatbed
 > > scanner two years simply because they sell software and cable for Win and Mac
 > > separately. Even it has two separate connectors of anphenol and
 > > d-sub. So it needs two different cables to daisy-chain.
 > > And software can be downloaded from their web. xscanimage

I meant Canon's web that provides Win and Mac softwares by "their
web". So if you don't use either one, it doesn't concern you. The
problem is that They (Canon) provies both hardwares and softwares so
they don't provides scsi information as far as I know.

 > > is standalone program that also can be plug-in for gimp. And OCR
 > > program I use under Linux demands tif format, so I need to use it under
 > > Gimp. Since xscanimage has limited image file format.
 > > Despite alpha state of canon driver, so far it works fine and

I mean the canon backend driver included in sane-1,0 package by "canon
driver" here. And sane web says it is in alpha stage.
Actually canon sane backend driver has its own web:
http://www.rzg.mpg.de/~mpd/sane
You should further consult with them.
But as far as I am concerned, it is working fine. So I wondered how
they (backend driver supporters) did it.

As far as Canon is concerned, my information is about two years old
since I am happy with gimp and sane and linux, I don't visit Canon's
web recently. They may provide new hardware.

Regards,
Kei.

 > > Canon never release scsi manual as far as I know, I wonder how they do
 > > it. It works even under network so I don't have to swap around scsi
 > > controller.
 >
 > Thank you very much for this information.  I was actually
 > also considering the CanoScan, but was worried about the
 > alpha state of the driver.  What kind of software do they
 > provide on the Web?
 >
 > Thanks,
 >
 > Manuel
Next Nomikai: March 19 (Fri), 19:30  Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691