Re: tlug: I wanna be an ISP...

> ...well not quite. I want to set up:
>   1.A dial-in modem line at home so I can access the servers, and the
> internet (through OCN).
>   2.Similar for an office, which can scale to maybe half a dozen lines.
>
> I then want to take my home solution and expand it to accepting faxes and
> voice messages. My  ISDN TA is Aterm IT55 DSU.
>
> I was planning to use Linux, though if someone can give advantages
> I'll also consider NT with RAS.

NT RAS is not very good solution for ISP. Just for dial-in server it will work

> Can a dial-in line handle both analog modem and ISDN lines? Or do I have to
> decide which a line will be. Also can a line still be used as a normal
> phone, or does it have to be dedicated?

better u need to have a setup with private telephone lines

> Any advice at all welcome: hardware, software, good sites/how-to's/books to
> read, shops in Aki to get good prices/support, etc.
>
> Oh, yet another question. Can the server know the number of the person
> dialling it (and then allow access rights based on that)?

of course, you can monitor manythings.

All your setup is based on your budget

I think you need to know more things to setup such an idea.
keet it up

+----------------oOOo-(_)-oOOo-------------+
  Sreeni Menon,
(Alliance Group, New Business Development),
Japan Future Information Technology & Systems Co. Ltd,
Tokyo,Japan.
http://www.jfits.co.jp

E-mail  : sreeni.menon@example.com
          srimenon@example.com
Ph Work : 81-3-3623-1463
Fax     : 81-3-3623-8761

Page :http://sreeni.menon.indianet.org/
 Of course, all the opinions expressed
are my own and do not represent my employers.

Next Nomikai: March 19 (Fri), 19:30  Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691