Re: tlug: "boot failed". Period.

On Thu, 25 Feb 1999, Richard M. Pavonarius wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I've been meaning to get in touch with tlug for a year or two, just never
> got around to it. This is my 9th year here in Japan.
>
> I tried to install TurboLinux on a Compaq Deskpro EP Series. All I get is
> "boot failed." Same result on two machines of the same make & model. CD
> works in an IBM Aptiva.

Only time I've ever seen this is on ftp.pht.com trying to run a 2.0.35 SMP
kernel.  I never did figure out why, though.  Other kernels work fine on
that machine... but the stock kernel in TL doesn't have the SMP stuff
enabled.

> I REALLY looked all over for the solution to this and found nothing.
>
> I started running LinuxPPC on a 9500/120 a week or two ago, but all the
> really juicy, pre-compiled, and up-to-date software is for Intel, so I'm
> eager to persuade this Compaq to submit itself to my geek lust.

well, all the bleeding-edge stuff is compiled for PPC as well, but if you
want newer stable stuff, yeah, you need x86 :)

Scott M. Stone <sstone@example.com>
Head of TurboLinux English / Systems Administrator
Pacific HiTech, Inc. (http://www.turbolinux.com)

Next Nomikai: March 19 (Fri), 19:30  Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691