Re: tlug: 2 Problems with Kernel 2.2.1 upgrade

    Neil> Note the difference in the ppp0 config (2.0.36 has NOARP and
    Neil> MULTICAST unlike 2.2.2), 2.0.36 has the default route usage
    Neil> count as 1 whereas 2.2.2 doesn't. Also, the MSS entries are
    Neil> zeroed under 2.2.2. I'm not really sure what all this means.

MSS stands for "maximum segment size".  I don't know what that means,
but it being zero doesn't look good at all to me.  Look up the man
page for route and figure out how to set that MSS bigger than zero.

    Neil> ping works fine; so e.g. Netscape says "www.slashdot.org
    Neil> contacted, waiting for reply" and the modem appears to be
    Neil> actually receiving data.  It just seems to go in the
    Neil> bitbucket though, and Netscape times out.

MSS only applies to TCP connections, ping uses a lower level protocol
so it wouldn't be affected.

Don't ask me why it doesn't affect ethernet and loopback connections.

Next Nomikai: March 19 (Fri), 19:30  Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691