Re: tlug: 2 Problems with Kernel 2.2.1 upgrade

On Mon, 8 Feb 1999, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

>     Neil> However, I can't surf the web
>
> This is a pretty uninformative symptom to report; what could be wrong?
> I'm not going to count the ways, it'll take much too long.
>
> What does `/sbin/ifconfig' tell you?  How about `/sbin/route -n'?  If
> it looks like your net interface is up, try `ping 127.0.0.1'
> (localhost, if this doesn't work something is very wrong indeed), then
> ping somewhere on the lan.  If you don't have a lan, ping something
> via ppp.  Then try `host <something>'.  What does `top' tell you?
>
>     Neil> Is this a kernel configuration problem? I know little about
>     Neil> networking, so I wouldn't know if this is a missing
>     Neil> configuration item, or a
>
> I doubt it.  If it were a configuration problem, you'd be missing
> functionality.  Netscape should get a failure code from one of its
> functions and tell you you're offline.
>
>     Neil> userspace problem. I suspect the former as I can browse fine
>     Neil> under 2.0.36.
>
> Both Netscape and pppd are pretty flaky apps in my experience,
> breaking at almost any opportunity.  Anything that uses kernel
> services could break on a kernel upgrade.  I've had problems with
> vfork under 2.2.0 on sparc; if Netscape uses vfork to launch its DNS
> helper app, that could be the problem.

One other oddity is that the new kernel seems to automatically add routes
when you bring up interfaces.  I had to modify my initscripts to not do
'route add -net ....' because the 'ifconfig eth0 ....' was doing it
*automatically*.  If I downgrade to 2.0.36, with the same ifconfig, route,
initscripts, it doesn't do this...

Scott M. Stone <sstone@example.com>
Head of TurboLinux English / Systems Administrator
Pacific HiTech, Inc. (http://www.turbolinux.com)

Next Technical Meeting: February 13 (Sat), 12:30 place: Temple Univ.
** presentation: XEmacs, by Steven Baur and Martin Buchholz
Next Nomikai: March 19 (Fri), 19:30   Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691