tlug: Gateway Solo 5100/ESS 1879 sound

OK, I installed 2.2.0, and sheesh, it's about time I made the sound
and such work.  After a fair amount of crawling through sources and
stuff, I finally figured out how to get Linux to make this sound
chipset work.

Sort of.

The ESS 1879 isn't documented in the driver sources, but I think it's
related to the ESS 1878.

ESS support is built in to the sound blaster family.  So you alias the
sound to sb and midi to opl3 (I think, I'm not clear on why there is a
separate sound.o module; the alias is working) in /etc/conf.modules,
and set "options irq=5 io=0x240 dma=1 dma16=3" ro the sb and "options
io=0x388" for the opl3.

I got these values by looking in the Windose Control panel.  So I
don't know what the chipset wakes up as, I go through DOS/Windows boot
and "loadlin".  Presumably the Windose driver sets the firmware to
those values.

There are two other io vectors mentioned by Windose:  0x800 for the
"ES 1879 control" and 0x330 for no particular reason.  Anybody have a
guess as to what those are?

The sort of is that it seems like the mike is not initialized to off
or something and I get an occasional annoying feedback whistle.

Next project: the Adaptec APA-1480 CardBus SCSI controller.  (With
2.2.0 and pcmcia-cs-3.0.8 I _finally_ got a clean build of that
module.  No, Chris, I don't need your wisdom.  I listened to your
advice, I just didn't follow it.  :-)

Next Technical Meeting: February 13 (Sat), 12:30 place: Temple Univ.
** presentation: XEmacs, by Steven Baur and Martin Buchholz
Next Nomikai: March 19 (Fri), 19:30   Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691