tlug: Auto run at boot time

I've been reading how-to's and man pages, but I can't seem to find a simple
explanation of the following. I want to know where I put commands to run at
boot time. Here are the three types:

1.A command to run once at boot-time, eg. to make a backup of all the files
in a directory.

2.Run apache (or some similar server) so it will be listening even if I
don't log in. I found the init.d directory, but I couldn't find where I
specify which daemons I want to be started. [*]

3.A command to run when I log-in as a "darren" but not any other user. Is
it possible to differentiate between the first time I log-in (maybe to
backup some files) and each time after that (I don't want it running a
backup if I'm just opening another virtual console to run man or ls).

TIA,
Darren

*: If a machine is primarily a web server, am I correct in thinking Apache
should be listening all the time, and not started by inetd?

Next Technical Meeting: February 13 (Sat), 12:30 place: Temple Univ.
** presentation: XEmacs, by Steven Baur and Martin Buchholz
Next Nomikai: March 19 (Fri), 19:30   Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691