Re: tlug: Partitioning sizes

>>>>> "Dave" == Dave Gutteridge <dave@example.com> writes:

64MB swap
16MB /boot
256MB /
512MB /usr
512MB /home
256MB /var

Just personal opinion: I prefer to have separate /tmp and in this case
256 for / seems to much. What I have usually is something like:

/     40-50
/tmp ~100
/var 40-50

(this is for 1.2 G. One a bigger one I can allow some more space for
myself).

As for /home. If it's going to be networked - do you really need it?
How about NFS?

- dmytro

    Dave> 64MB swap 16MB /boot 256MB / 512MB /usr 512MB /home 256MB
    Dave> /var (One note of confusion - the manual says that I should
    Dave> make the / partition as big as possible, and then on the
    Dave> very next line it says the / partition should be 256MB. I
    Dave> think there was some kind of editing mistake, and I wonder
    Dave> if there's some other partition which should be 256MB)

    Dave> This equals 1616MB of space. My hard drive is only 1.2. I
    Dave> can't really afford to upgrade, so the question is, where
    Dave> should i skimp?

    Dave> What differs from the last time when I set up the machine at
    Dave> work is that I'm I'm going to be the only user of this new
    Dave> system, so i'm suspecting i can reduce /home or /usr, but
    Dave> i'm not sure which of the two should be given priority.
    Dave> Also, since a big part of this machine's purpose is to do
    Dave> mail services (albeit only for me at this point), should I
    Dave> increase /var?  Just in case it will affect the answers -
    Dave> the machine is for web pages (no streaming audio or video
    Dave> but multiple domain names), FTP (no anonymous) and mail (me
    Dave> with multiple accounts and one mailing list) only.

    Dave> Next Technical Meeting: February 13 (Sat), 12:30 place:
    Dave> Temple Univ.  ** presentation: XEmacs, by Steven Baur and
    Dave> Martin Buchholz Next Nomikai: March 19 (Fri), 19:30 Tengu
    Dave> TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
    Dave> more info: http://tlug.linux.or.jp Sponsor: PHT
Dmytro Kovalev
Tokyo FI UNIX SA, Consultant