Re: tlug: Qu'est que c'est ESD?

    Scott> On Fri, 22 Jan 1999, Chris Sekiya wrote:
    >> On Fri, 22 Jan 1999, Matt Gushee wrote:
    >>
    >> > What ESD is?
    >>
    >> Enlightened Sound Daemon.  esound-0.2.7.tar.gz or suchlike.

Note, this is daemon as in "Dungeons and Dragons", it has nothing to
do with the Unix usage except by accident of birth.  It is a Chaotic
creature of Evil.

    >> > Whether it's actually important or not?
    >>
    >> It's actually a drawback.  While it's running, it locks
    >> /dev/dsp such that other programs can't use it.

Not only that, but it generates interrupts at a rate of 300/sec on at
least some systems.  4X speedup in general performance when it was
disabled according to Dag Brattli on linux-irda.  At that rate, I
suppose it could lock up your box if your networking stuff is hosed....

I really don't have a problem with locking /dev/dsp; NAS is a
reasonably good protocol.  The reason you don't care now is that few
programs use /dev/dsp, so it's easy just to leave it public -- just
like DOS programs and TSRs used the display.  However, you will care
when you start playing music of your choice as background with a news
channel in the foreground, and biff breaks in to say "Oh, F**k!  That
F**king <SYNTHOVOICE CONTENT="Turnbull"> sent you another bl**dy
mail!"  NAS will allow you to configure its software mixer to handle
that....

Dunno what protocol ESD uses.

    Scott> Additionally, I could *not* get it to work on a 2.0.x
    Scott> kernel at all...

You were born under a lucky star, m'boy.  It's not likely that the
kind of person who would notice the interrupts thing will use TL, but
the kind of person who would trash it for slowness is pretty common
among your paying customers, I bet.

Next Technical Meeting: February 13 (Sat), 12:30 place: Temple Univ.
** presentation: XEmacs, by Steven Baur and Martin Buchholz
Next Nomikai: March 19 (Fri), 19:30   Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691