Re: tlug: Freezing

On Fri, 22 Jan 1999, Chris Sekiya wrote:

> On Thu, 21 Jan 1999, Scott Stone wrote:
>
> > I've had good luck with them.  Sure, I still prefer an eepro100 any
> > day, but I'll take an NE2K PCI (or ISA for that matter) over a 3com
> > any day.
>
> 3com cards have a _much_ nicer design then those ole Novell Eagles.
> 3com quality control is terrible, but when one finds a card that works it
> will outperform the ne all day.

Hm, YMMV... I get significantly better xfer rates with the ne2ks (isa and
pci) than with any 3com card.

> The Novell Eagle design was created as a bare-assed-minimum solution.  Get
> these el-cheapo cards out on the market so that Novell could make more
> money with Netware.  They barely worked in ISA configurations -- putting
> this design on a PCI card is Sick and Wrong(tm).

well, pci lets the system autoprobe the io/irq easier... even if they're
not any faster than their ISA cousins, they don't have to be - I can
already get around 1MB/sec over a 10Base-T link with them, and they're
under $10 in many places.  Plus, some of the PCI ones will do 100MBit,
too.  Maybe they don't scale well to super-high-load servers, but, that's
what the eepro100 is for, IMHO :)

Scott M. Stone <sstone@example.com>
Head of TurboLinux English / Systems Administrator
Pacific HiTech, Inc. (http://www.turbolinux.com)

Next Technical Meeting: February 13 (Sat), 12:30 place: Temple Univ.
** presentation: XEmacs, by Steven Baur and Martin Buchholz
Next Nomikai: March 19 (Fri), 19:30   Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691