Re: tlug: CD-R under Linux

>>>>> "jb" == Jonathan Byrne <jq@example.com> writes:

    jb> And tape is?  DAT is less likely to have an error, but tape is
    jb> not perfect.  How far from 100% did they think MO was?

Dunno.  This was about 2 years ago, and what I was told was that long
term properties weren't well-understood, nor were how reliability was
affected by lots of rewriting.  Theory said they very good, but
engineering practice and environmental conditions are important too.
OTOH, use of tape has decades of experience behind it.

I'm also reluctant to trust stuff that's mostly used in Japan, like MO
and Panasonic PD.  I don't know anybody here at Tsukuba that I can
trust for advice about this kind of thing; the hard core people at the
main CC and the admin database use redundant tape backups on DAT
drives (eg) that cost more than any of my workstations, everybody else
uses whatever is on the cover of DOS/V Magazine or MacUser and reports
failures---but I can't trust that those aren't pilot error.

Next Technical Meeting: February 13 (Sat), 12:30 place: Temple Univ.
** presentation: XEmacs, by Steven Baur and Martin Buchholz
Next Nomikai: March 19 (Fri), 19:30   Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691