Re: tlug: Acrobat reader and libXt

    >> Anyway, obviously it functions about like LD_PRELOAD.

    Chris> ... except (I think) it operates across-the-board.  Not
    Chris> good.

Obviously it's intended for use by lazy distribution integrators.

That's admittedly worse than requiring the user to be "smart" enough
to put `export LD_PRELOAD=..." into .bashrc ;-) but it's certainly
possible to hang yourself by doing the latter.

BTW, when did the `--library-path' option get added to GNU ld.so?
This is a very nice feature in situations like the one ASH got himself
into, if it works the way I want it to in that situation.  Hm
... wonder if ASH coulda saved himself with `LD_PRELOAD="" mv ...'?

    Chris> [1] Although my opinion of TL has went into a tailspin,

They don't have the resources to deal with something like the
glibc/X11-compat issue, except by accident.  I'll take your word for
it that -lc works, but I don't know why; I doubt very many programmers
do.  It was their bad luck that glibc would come up after several
years of libc stability at exactly the same time that the Japanese
window of opportunity opened _and_ they lost the ability to build
pretty much everything available (due to releases of commercial apps
for Linux).

    Chris> RedHat have went up several notches in my estimation. They
    Chris> did the libc5/glibc X library compatibility properly

On purpose?  :-P

Nobody faults RedHat for technical expertise (just admin judgement) ...

    Chris> ... and they've blessed integration of their sparc X
    Chris> patches into XFree86.  Huzzah.

... or for public spirit.  Except for the ill-fated "Linux Standards
Cabal" (whatever they called themselves), I've not seen bad behavior
by any corporate body in the Linux community---except GNU itself, and
I guess you could argue that "Bad Boy Richard" is blowing his own
horn, and doesn't necessarily speak for GNU itself or the FSF.
(sorry, I guess followups to this part should go to -advocacy; Chris's
"announcement" of course is technical IMHO; useful to me as a Sparc
user YMMV. :-)

Next Technical Meeting: February 13 (Sat), 12:30 place: Temple Univ.
** presentation: XEmacs, by Steven Baur and Martin Buchholz
Next Nomikai: March 19 (Fri), 19:30   Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691