Re: tlug: Emacs these days

Your message dated: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 18:30:26 +0900

>     Peter> Your message dated: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 17:45:14 +0900 [snip]
>
>     >> You seem to use Emacs quite heavily, 16MB are usually enough
>     >> for my XEmacs and I am living in that thing.  Anyhow, after you
>     >> got rid of the two rogue X, things will probably get much
>     >> better.
>
>     Peter> I use three X servers quite often. That way I can use the
>     Peter> desktop of a machine running XDM in the noisy machine room
>     Peter> without having to go there, they can be switched between
>     Peter> with a key press.
>
> Peter,
>
> 	How does this work? I've done a similar thing with Xnest, but
> I've never run several actual X servers?

I've not heard of Xnest. What I have been doing is this:

- Login at console and run `startx' as usual
- Go to a free virtual terminal (CTRL+ALT+F2 ?) and
  log in.
- Start an Xserver querying another machine:

    % X -once -query <host> :1

  The :1 says which display number to use, the previous
  startx will have taken :0 so we use :1. If you want
  to pop up a window in the second desktop, use
  "<yourhost>:1" as the display variable.

- The Xserver will start up on your first available
  virtual terminal which you can access with `CTRL+ALT+Fx'.

and so on.

On my machine I switch between vt7, vt8 and vt9.

Regards,

Peter.
Next Nomikai: 14 January 1999, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
*** it will will be Jan 14 (Thu), as Jan 15 (Fri) is a natl holiday
Next Technical Meeting: Feb 13 (Sat), 12:30    ace: Temple Univ.