Re: tlug: X Windows cursor

    Neil> Hmm.., I mean the vertical bar cursor used in text boxes and
    Neil> the like (e.g. Netscape, file runner etc.). They all blink,
    Neil> even when you're scrolling or typing, making it hard to see.

    Neil> In GNU Emacs under X windows (not xemacs) the cursor is a
    Neil> pleasant little purple block, which doesn't blink. Similarly
    Neil> for xterms. Is that what you're referring to?

If I remember correctly, the cursor and its attributes are set by the
application. Ahh wait a minute, "picking up an old and moldy copy of
'X Windows System User's Guide'"....

You can set the cursor through X resouces:

	xterm -xrm 'xterm*pointerShape: sailboat'

To see the standand curor font:

	xfd -fn cursor

The question now is does Netscape have a resource for the cursor that
you can set?

I ran editres on netscape and dumped the widget tree, that is, the
name of the X objects that make the application. This didn't help.

Oh yes, there should be a Netscape.ad file that specifies the
resources; lets check there:

!      ==========================================================
!      NOTE: If you're looking here for things to customize, look
!      on the Preferences dialogs under the Options menu first.
!      Most things are customizable from there.  Things which are
!      settable via the Preferences dialog boxes are stored in
!      the ~/.netscape/preferences file, and not in X resources.
!      ==========================================================

Anyway, you'll find some cursor relate resources there:

*linkCursor:                    hand2
*busyCursor:                    watch
*saveNextLinkCursor:            hand2
*urlLocationProxyIcon.cursor:                   hand2
*selector*XfeButton.transparentCursor:          cross

I checked the ~/.netscape/preferences, but there did not seem to be
anything there... There is also a preferences.js, but nothing there
either...

As for the blinking, I'm not sure that you can set it :(

Sorry if this all does not make very much sense, I just "had" to check
my mail one more time before going out the door...

Andy

Next Nomikai: 14 January 1999, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
*** it will will be Jan 14 (Thu), as Jan 15 (Fri) is a natl holiday
Next Technical Meeting: Feb 13 (Sat), 12:30    ace: Temple Univ.