tlug: TLUG server in a new home

Some of you may already know, but here's a formal announcement:

   TLUG is very thankful to PHT (http://www.pht.co.jp), represented in
   this mailing list by Cliff Miller and Scott Stone, for having hosted
   the TLUG server in their office in Tokyo. However, TLUG Librarian
   Jonathan Byrne recently moved to a new job at Global On-Line
   (http://www.gol.com) and he has offered to negotiate with them a
   bandwidth donation for our server. In response, GOL agreed to co-locate
   a machine at their facilities, connecting it to a 128k line in exchange
   for recognition from the TLUG.

   Several factors motivate us to accept the offer:
   * we have always been concerned with bandwidth limitations
    (for example, avoiding large FTP transfers in order to not
     disturb PHT normal activities)
   * co-loc at GOL would allow us to activate the tlug.gr.jp domain
     (which we have registered and paid for, but couldn't be used as
      its activation requires DNS registration with a JPNIC-approved ISP)
   * network security (our machine is in the same network segment
     with other PHT machines)
   * physical access (now that Scott is no longer in Japan, access
     to the machine is limited to the hours Cliff or other PHT person
     familiar with TLUG is at the office)

   Taking all this in account, I would like to recommend the TLUG to
   accept this offer and move the server to GOL from PHT. If no one is
   opposed, it will be scheduled for the end of this month.

   If you have opinions or comments to make, please send us your feedback
   by e-mailing to tlug-admin@example.com

Next Nomikai: 14 January 1999, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
*** it will will be Jan 14 (Thu), as Jan 15 (Fri) is a natl holiday
Next Technical Meeting: Feb 13 (Sat), 12:30    ace: Temple Univ.