Re: tlug: Linux print server

    Darren> I need to set up a dedicated print server on a Windows
    Darren> network, using an old 486/100. I was going to install
    Darren> win95, but I was wondering how easy it is to do with Linux
    Darren> and Samba.

Piece of cake. :)

    Darren> I know nothing about Samba (and my Unix/Linux isn't that
    Darren> hot either :-), so I've a few questions:

    Darren> Do you think I can learn enough to get it running with
    Darren> just a few hours of study? Are there any must-read books,
    Darren> or are the readme/how-to good?

There is a samba book, but for what you want to do, I don't think its
needed. The docs that come with samba should be enough. Off the top of
my head, the main things you would need to set in smb.conf are:

  workgroup = YourWorkgroup

# NOTE: If you have a BSD-style print system there is no need to
# specifically define each individual printer
[printers]
   comment = All Printers
   path = /usr/spool/samba
   browseable = no
   # Set public = yes to allow user 'guest account' to print
   guest ok = no
   writable = no
   printable = yes

Note that if you want users to be able to delete their own print jobs,
I think they have to have an account on the linux box, and their
machine and and IP address has to agree with what is in /etc/hosts.

I think I'm right on that...

    Darren> Do I need to install X windows? This machine probably
    Darren> doesn't have much disk space or memory.
No.

    Darren> Is there a way to find out if Linux has a driver for the
    Darren> printer ahead of time, eg. a database I can search? Or do
    Darren> I even need a printer driver? All the machines on the
    Darren> network already have a driver for it.

You can use ghostscript as a frontend to many printers. However, if
all you care about are PC's, the the linux box just needs to be setup
to pass the raw data it get from the samba client PC. The PC has to
have the driver for the printer installed.

    Darren> Any and all advice welcome!

To guarantee success, I suggest making a ritual sacrifice of the M$
disks you were going to install. Do this outside, as the gasoline
smells up the house or office.

Andy
Next Nomikai: 14 January 1999, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
*** it will will be Jan 14 (Thu), as Jan 15 (Fri) is a natl holiday
Next Technical Meeting: Feb 13 (Sat), 12:30    ace: Temple Univ.