Re: tlug: Look, ma, no fonts!

    Matt> Jonathan Byrne writes:
    >> Thanks for the input, Matt.  I was starting to wonder if
    >> anybody out there could help me :-)

    Matt> Don't speak too soon -- I'm not sure I can, either :-)

:-)

    >> mf: can't load library 'libXt.so.6'

    Matt> Hmm ... why is that?

Because metafont (mf) is linked with the wrong X libraries, this is
due to libc5/libc6 confusion.  Can we say, "thanks Scott"?  (I'm
assuming this is JB's TL system.)

Really, Scott did a great job, but it is simply not a robust solution
in the face of problems like this.  You absolutely positively must use
the TeX/LaTeX and _all_ supporting programs from the same version of
the same distribution to have a hope of getting it right the first
time.

Unless you're a real TeX hacker.

    >> mktexpk: Mismatched mode ljfour and resolution 600; ignoring
    >> mode.

    Matt> *probably* not important

Definitely not important.

    >> dvips: Font cmr10 not found, characters will be left blank.

    Matt> Not good. cmr10 is one of the standard TeX fonts ... should
    Matt> be in every distribution. Unless there's a tex-fonts package
    Matt> you neglected to install, you absolutely should have it.

    >> (or a bad path?)

    Matt> That would be my guess.

Yes.  try `kpsewhich cmr10'.  You may need to play with this to get it
to find the fonts for you.  kpsewhich can look for lots of different
things and you'll need to give it a switch to tell it exactly what to
look for.

What is almost certainly happening is that your main TeX package
expects and has fonts in one place, dvips is looking for them
elsewhere.

    >> Got me.  I don't know anything at all about how fonts work on
    >> *nix, but I get the impression that it's a lot uglier than it
    >> is on Some Other Operating Systems.

    Matt> You got that right.

No, we just gots more fonts and more kinds of fonts. :-)  The basic
thing is that Those Who Follow and Fuck Things Up get to pick and
choose a single workable solution; the leaders often get stuck
maintaining ever more complex backward compatibility.

Honestly?  Yes, it's pretty ugly.  This kind of TeX problem will occur
on Mac and Windose TeX distributions too, though.

Next Nomikai: 14 January 1999, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
*** it will will be Jan 14 (Thu), as Jan 15 (Fri) is a natl holiday
Next Technical Meeting: Feb 13 (Sat), 12:30    ace: Temple Univ.