Re: tlug: Floppy mounts

A-Ha!  According to the README, autofs requires support in the
kernel.  Fancy that.  The kernel-module code is there in the
kernel source tree, but it's not among the compile options in
menuconfig, so ... it's ... not ... among ... my ... modules.

The Makefile in linux/fs/autofs tells me that it can be compiled
in the autofs tree as well, under "tools".  The Makefile in the
autofs sources tells me that it's "kernel" I want, not "tools",
so I plug the sources into a subdirectory of that name.  Make the
module, slot it into the kernel, and with a little tweaking of
the config files, autofs works like a charm.  Unmounts the floppy
after 5 seconds.  Great stuff.  There will be some little
imponderables to sort you, but this looks like it will do the
trick.

Does anyone out there have the latest-latest kernel sources for
the 2.0.x series to hand?  I'm on 2.0.34, but we should report
the missing configuration option to the maintainers and to the
autofs guys if it's still missing in the latest menuconfig for
the 2.0.x tree; the kernel code for 2.0.x is not distributed with
autofs anymore, so in the absence of an explicit configuration
option in the kernel sources it would be easy to get the
impression that it just doesn't work with that line of kernels.

Or am I missing something obvious?

Grrr.  Maru.

Cheers,
--