Re: tlug: Floppy mounts

Howard Abbey <habbey@example.com> writes:

> Frank Bennett wrote:
> > For these student terminals, I want kids to be able to plug DOS
> > or VFAT floppy disks into them with abandon, and have the OS take
> > care of mounting and unmounting them.
>
> Well, it's not been utterly solved, but probably the best
> solution (as I was convinced by another TLUGer on this list
> a while ago) is to use an automount daemon (like autofs) to
> automatically detect the disk type.

Thanks for this.  If the disk is mounted with the "sync" option,
they'll have as much data protection as they would have in DOS --
the drive light will stay on until the write's complete.  Then
all we have to worry about is clearing up the mount point when
another disk is punched in.  If the driver doesn't go crazy, that
should just be a scripting problem.

We'll see.  I'll probably get around to testing stuff in another
couple of weeks.

Many thanks,
--
-x80