Re: tlug: PPP for real dummies

On 13-Nov-98 Howard Abbey wrote:
> Come on all you who "don't know enough about linux  to contribute
> yet"!  If you're using Red Hat or TurboLinux, look at your
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ppp0 compare them, or just take
> a guess.
>
> Sorry Tony, but I want to get some of the not-so-newbie's to start
> helping out, or at least trying.  So if you're in a hurry and want
> my (educated) guess, e-mail me.
>
> Tony Laszlo wrote:
>> I am using TL2.0J Standard on a Sharp Mebius laptop.
>
>>... ppp-on ppp0 results in an
>> error message of something like 'users not allowed to
>> control this interface'.

Under RedHat there is a check box in the Network Configurator's Edit Interface
dialog which says "Allow any user to (de)activate interface" Checking this
should allow a normal user to bring the interface up or down.

I assume that it adds

USERCTL=yes

at the end of the config file.

When you do "ifup ppp0" under RedHat and you are not root it launches
"/usr/sbin/usernetctl" which is a suid program which allows a non-root user to
control a network interface.

Since the filenames under TL seem similar to RedHat then maybe things work the
same.

David

E-Mail: David Dibben <dibben@example.com>