Re: tlug: Quest for e-mail

On Tue, 10 Nov 1998, Dave Gutteridge wrote:

> what is this escape character '^]'. ? I know that this is probably some
> sort of ASCII interpitation of a command key + some other key combination,
> but which key would that be?

Control - "]".  ZGenerally, "^" means the control key.

> What, then, does the earlier error message i got (ERR DPOP Offline:
> (Expired key)) imply about what this POP server is doing?

It means that your particular POP server is misconfigured.  I know nothing
about DPOP, so someone else will have to fill in here.

> By the way, i learned from the NAG that MX stands for "mail exchanger", and
> told me a little about it. but i still haven't found out about "A records",
> as mentioned previously by Stephen. What are "A records"?

An A record matches up a hostname with an IP address.  For instance, my
DNS has several lines like:

vixen           IN      A               192.168.10.8

... which means that the machine called "vixen"[1] has an IP of
192.168.10.8.

-- Chris

[1] _Not_ named after my ex.  It's a vax.