Re: tlug: Re: ISDN problems

On Mon, 9 Nov 1998, Chris Sekiya wrote:

> On Mon, 9 Nov 1998, Jonathan Byrne wrote:
>
> > Most of 3Web's modems are Micrcom, and they have just two small vents on the
> > top and two matching ones on the bottom.
>
> *blink* You're using consumer-grade modems in a modem pool?

I'll call this point 'Stupid Thing #1 (3Web's Fault).

> The Microcoms were located in a broom closet in the high school in
> Potlatch, Idaho.  Along with their end of the frame relay, a portmaster,
> and a couple of linux boxes.  A very, very small broom closet.  No
> ventilation.

I'll call this point 'Stupid Thing #2 (Chris's ex-company's fault)'

Now, the vote - which is dumber?  I think that putting your ISP equipment
into a small broom closet with no ventilation in a hot climate like Idaho
(I assume it's similar to Utah... very hot in summer)..is in the
'cd-load-tray-as-cupholder' class, personally :)

Some consumer grade modems can surprise you.  Now, admittedly, I've never
used an analog dialup to 3web, so I can't comment on their analog dialup
quality...

Head of TurboLinux Development/Systems Administrator
Pacific HiTech, Inc (USA) / Pacific HiTech, KK (Japan)