Re: tlug: Re: ISDN problems

On Mon, 9 Nov 1998, Scott Stone wrote:

> My 33.6k sportster was cheap.  It worked flawlessly, as advertised, every
> time I used it and I never had *any* problems with it.  I guess they just
> hired the wrong firmware engineers in 96 or something :)

They did a cost-reduction redesign in early 96, changing the data pump and
other niceties.  Initially broke v.42bis _and_ MNP (83901, these were) ...
symptoms were loooooong pauses during transfers, rumor said that internal
compression buffers weren't being flushed properly.  The fix was to turn
off compression altogether.

They then reengineered it again.  They were so certain that they got this
one right that they soldered the eprom onto the board.  Unfortunately,
their "fix" resulted in a pause of one second, then a pause of two
seconds, then a pause of four seconds, then a pause of eight seconds ...
when you could even get a connection.

The 83903 was a different design altogether, and seemed to fix things
properly.

-- Chris