Re: tlug: Re: ISDN problems

On Sun, 8 Nov 1998, Lance Cummings wrote:

> Jonathan,
>
> Nice little interface, xisp.  But unfortunately, I'm no closer than I was
> before.  Which authentification protocol should I use?  (Actually, I tried them
> all to no apparent effect.)
>
> I can definitely cause the TA to dial -- digitally -- by linking /dev/modem
> to /dev/cua1  (a link to cua0 causes the *modem* to dial using analog).  But
> I get a no carrier message about 5 seconds into the digital call.
> Specifically, I see:
>
> ATV1 H0
> OK
> AT DT 5489-8200
> NO CARRIER
>
> (This is using xisp.)
>
> To answer your other question, the TA is an NEC Aterm IT65Pro.  And the
> manual is a bear for me to read.  ;-))

Make sure you're using PAP authentication, do NOT turn on passive LCP.
I'm using 3Web myself... I do get the 'no carrier' thing sometimes on the
async lines - some of those dialups seem to be broken - but the sync ones
always work (5489-8200 is a sync dialup).

One solution is this - get connected under Windows. Disconnect.  Run
hyperterminal and tell the TA:

AT&W

this will write the current settings to NVRAM.
Now, have your linux script use 'ATZ' for its initialization, and it
*should* work.

Head of TurboLinux Development/Systems Administrator
Pacific HiTech, Inc (USA) / Pacific HiTech, KK (Japan)