tlug: Japanese menu bar for XEmacs?

Good morning!

Browsing through the directories of my XEmacs-20.4 distribution
I encountered a file apparently intended to provide Japanese text for the
menu/toolbar (xemacs-20.4/etc/app-defaults/ja/Emacs).
I have moved this file to ...X11/app-defaults/Emacs,
as demanded by the installation guide, yet instead of Japanese text,
all I get is mojibake. I presume I have encountered a problem
related to fonts, however I could not find out where exactly things
go wrong. I believe I have entered the right (available) Japanese
font for my system in the file, but things didn't change.
I am using the PJE Japanese patch for my system, and my window
manager fvwm2 displays Japanese without any problems.

Any hints? Has anyone set up Xemacs with Japanese munu bars?

Thanks in advance

Raimund Buellesbach