Re: tlug: Re: Sendmail down on TLUG?

On Fri, 6 Nov 1998, Rex Walters wrote:

> > On Fri, 6 Nov 1998, Jonathan Byrne wrote:
> >
> > > fetchmail: POP3 connection to tlug.linux.or.jp failed: host is unknown
> > > fetchmail: Query status=2
> >
> > This is a DNS problem.  YOUR DNS problem.
>
> Call me crazy, but I'd suspect the culprit is more likely the fact that
> pop was disabled in inetd.conf on the tlug server.  :-)
>
> I don't think anyone realized people were actually pulling their mail
> from the tlug server via pop.

'host is unknown' sounds like a name resolution problem to me.  Although
it's true that pop3 is disabled.  HOWEVER... 3web's nameservers don't seem
to know where to get an authoritative record for tlug.linux.or.jp.. and
PSInet's DNS servers do... so maybe we've got two issues here... the pop3
answer is simply 'It doesn't do that anymore, for security reasons'.. the
other.. hm.

Head of TurboLinux Development/Systems Administrator
Pacific HiTech, Inc (USA) / Pacific HiTech, KK (Japan)