Re: tlug: No more processes - panic!

> Q1. Was "no more processes" caused by lack of disk space, or something else
> (*)?
> Q2. Was there anything I could do remotely?

Synchronicity.  Somebody else on tlug-admin was just asking about the
advantages of xinetd over inetd.  :-)

A1.  Ultimately: "maybe".  Something is spawning off more processes than
your kernel has resources to deal with.  I've seen sendmail do this when
a filesystem went offline.  There are denial-of-service (DOS) attacks
involving services started out of inetd that can cause this.  Simple
programming errors can cause this as well (recursive forking is a common
culprit).  Could be a number of things.

A2.  Probably not, unless you've got it attached to a console server
(which can be an *excellent* idea if you have to admin something
remotely).

Good luck.

Regards,
--