Re: tlug: Re: static binaries (was: Re: tomsrtbt & glibc)

Rex Walters wrote:
> Forgive me my hyperbole.  I meant overkill in the sense that for many of
> the executables in /sbin it simply doesn't matter whether or not they
> are statically linked
>
> I wasn't referring to bloat (on disk or in memory).  FHS 2.0 says /sbin
> is for executables only run by an admin and not normal users.

Then what's the difference between /sbin and /usr/sbin?  (Honest
question,
I thought /sbin was only for recovering / booting when /usr couldn't be
accessed.)

One that I have to deal with: mdrun / mdadd for software raid devices.
Until this discussion, I wasn't sure why it NEEDED to access
/usr/lib before being able to start any mdX devices.  So, because it's
not statically linked, I can't put /usr on a raid partition without
extra work.  (Last time, I just had 2 copies of the libraries, so that
the one disappeared when it /usr got mounted.)  Now I know the right way
to fix it: find the source and statically link it.

> I also agree, however, that there would seem to be need for more than
> just ln and sync being statically linked.  And I'm puzzled why the FHS
> doesn't include more -- I wondered if anyone knew the reason.

Good question.
--
Howard