Re: tlug: Partition Table Values

On Thu, 5 Nov 1998, Eltigani Musa wrote:

> Hi every body
>
> Trying to install WINNT in a partition used before by SuSE 5.3 Linux in an
> IDE Compaq  DESKPRO Machine, the System Commander software which I used to
> use for switching between Linux & NT  showed the following message when I
> tried to use the Wizard for  installation.
>
> The Message:
> The partition table has values that exceed the size of the hard disk. No
> actions can be performed in this partition.

> No virus attack.
> I think SuSE 5.3 Linux was the latest version of Linux.
> Can any one explain to me the correct BIOS settings for 2.1G HD
> previously  partitioned  to 4 partitions each 500MB.
>  WINNT and SuSE 5.3 Linux installed in 500MB each, the remaining partitions
> used for backup.
> Best Regards

Go into your CMOS setup menu and just make sure the drive is in LBA mode.
If you want to completely wipe out the drive and reinstall things, you may
also want to use the IDE HDD Low Level Format option in your CMOS, if it
has one.

Head of TurboLinux Development/Systems Administrator
Pacific HiTech, Inc (USA) / Pacific HiTech, KK (Japan)