Re: tlug: Debian 2 and j-pine

    Totoro> I'm puttering around with Debian lately, and can't get
    Totoro> j-pine to compile. Pine and Pico both want to link
    Totoro> termcap, however, Debian is supposed to be using
    Totoro> terminfo. With the old termcap-compat in, the errors
    Totoro> continue. I've already tried changing the makefiles on
    Totoro> Pine and Pico to not use termcap, but it won't run.

    Stephen> As far as I know, although terminfo is preferred to
    Stephen> termcap for new applications, legacy applications should
    Stephen> compile with termcap support.

The Pine and Pico makefiles are calling for -ltermcap in the libs
section. From what Scott mentioned about termcap/libtermcap, what
is it actually looking for here?

    Stephen> Unfortunately, Debian-JP does not measure up to the
    Stephen> quality of Debian in general IMO.  And in any case, you
    Stephen> probably need to be extremely careful about compiling
    Stephen> Debian sources on the release they were configured for.
    Stephen> You often won't be able to compile 1.3 .dscs (you are
    Stephen> building from .dscs, aren't you?) on a 2.0 system, or
    Stephen> vice versa, and "slink" (current experimental branch)
    Stephen> sources are likely to be worse.

I used the basic source tarball on this, plus the japanese patch.

    Stephen> However, it's probably better to start from a Debian-JP
    Stephen> .dsc for the wrong system release (or an old version of
    Stephen> Pine) than from UW sources + Japanization patches.  At
    Stephen> least that will give you some idea of how to work around
    Stephen> the weirdness.

Unfortunately, I cannot find anything like this. The Debian-JP web
site has no reference to a Pine application. Guess I'll try playing
with the binaries Chris is munching together.

Meantime, I'll do without Pine and just hang with XEmacs/Gnus!

    Stephen> What are those two straight lines for?  "Free software
    Stephen> rules."

Until I spent some time reading the Gnus documentation last week, I
didn't have any idea what you meant by this. Never would've thought
that an RFC specifies the proper styles of signatures...

--

David Riley
Hachinohe Institute of Technology

http://w3.clat.hi-tech.ac.jp