Re: tlug: Lilo hosed

Jonathan Byrne wrote:
> However, on boot lilo freezes up after printing LI.  Right now, I'm booting
> from a sysboot disk.
> This is the partition table from /dev/hdd:
>
> Disk /dev/hdd: 64 heads, 63 sectors, 621 cylinders
> Units = cylinders of 4032 * 512 bytes
>
> Device Boot   Begin    Start      End   Blocks   Id  System
> /dev/hdd1            1        1       33    66496+  82  Linux swap
> /dev/hdd2           34       34      621  1185408   83  Linux native

Hmm...  hdd2 eh... My guess is that's your problem (i.e. I can't think
of
anything else).  Two primary (non-logical) partitions might not be liked
by
your Bios / Lilo / something.  If you don't mind re-installing, try
changing
it to hda5 (an extended partition).

Here's what I do to play it safe:
Always partition hard disks with MS-Dos (pre-Win95) fdisk.  Then use
Linux
fdisk to change types, subdivide partitions if necessary (slightly
dangerous,
but less so than making a whole disk from scratch).  That way, MS-Dos is
happy.
And when Dos is happy, Lilo tends to be happy.  (It also keeps Os/2's
slightly
more picky fdisk happy, which is more of a concern to me, since that's
also
how I configure the OS/2 Boot Manager.  For a while I had to unplug my
SCSI disks
whenever I wanted to change my boot options.  A pain.)

--
Howard