Re: tlug: Master of my domain no more...

In mail on Re: tlug: Master of my domain no more..., Sean Bennett
(sean@example.com) wrote:
> [root@example.com sean]# ps -aux
> USER       PID %CPU %MEM  SIZE   RSS TTY STAT START   TIME COMMAND
> root      1872  0.0  2.4  1184   660  ?  S    15:51   0:00 bash
> /etc/rc.d/rc6.d/K15gpm stop
> root      1873  0.0  0.9   756   256  ?  S    15:51   0:00 gpm -k

It's trying to kill gpm, and not having any luck.  GPM, the program
that gives you a mouse cursor in a console, and X windows have
traditionally not agreed very well over the mouse.  X locking up
could probably give gpm a fit, and make it stubborn about closing
nicely.  Try switching virtural consoles (cntrl-alt-F3), logging in,
and forcing gpm to be killed , and maybe the program trying to kill
it.  Your shutdown should continue a little behind schedule.  (hey,
no it's not, it's still now!)

		later,

                        Howard Abbey
Next Technical Meeting: January, 1999 (details TBA)