Re: tlug: Master of my domain no more...

At 04:41 PM 10/31/98 +0900, Sean Bennett wrote:

>Today, /sbin/shutdown -r now and /sbin/shutdown -h now have
>no effect.  When I give these comands, I get the usual
>"System Going Down Immediately" messages,... but thats it.
>I get my command prompt back again.

Question: do you get __all__ the messages or just--only--"System going
down"?  At home, I run RH 5.1 on a PII box that also runs Win 98.  (In work
I run Turbo L on two boxes, Scott.  So be happy! :-)  ).   When I shtdown
or reboot the first thing that gets killed is X Windows, so . . .

Interesting problem! Would you settle for a totally misguided, seriously
wrong, and useless explanation?  No?  Well, too bad.

For some reason, your shutdown command is not killing/terminating the
X-server.  If you could get out of X and back to the line prompt, you could
then reboot or halt the machine.  When you do that, try Xconfigurator again
and manually do the entries. (Maybe you can do this in X now?)  I had to
reconfigure Xwindows a few times.  I do not like :-<  RH's auto config bit.
 Got stuff wrong for my machine.  If your X windows is set up again with a
few kinks here or there worked out, _maybe_ you've solved the Xwindows/X
server that wouldn't DIE dilemma.  Maybe not.

Also, question out of idle curiosity.  Does your machine (via vis the
_system bios_ have any fancy "power management features"?  You can find out
by entering (usually) F1 or F2 during start up.   I'm sure at all that the
settings on these could be a contributing factor--or even how, but you
might want to check them.  I had to fiddle with this for my Fujitisu at
work just to get Windows to run right--let alone Linux.

Is there anyone on the list tonight actually doing tech-support for Linux
rather than arguing about it?  Please respond ASAP to SB's post.  Thanks!

Best to all--even to the disgruntled,

Tom H
Next Technical Meeting: January, 1999 (details TBA)