 From: Edupage Editors <educause@example.com>
 Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 15:04:49 -0500
 Subject: Edupage, 29 October 1998
---------------- Original body follows ----------------
UNIX GROWTH STILL OUTPACES NT
A recent Dataquest survey shows that Unix growth is accelerating and
outpacing that of its main competitor, Windows NT.  Unix market share has
grown from 36% in 1996 to 42.7% in the second quarter of this year.  The NT
market has increased from 9.7% to 16.2% during the same time period.  "NT is
far behind where the state of the art is, and it has a long way to go," says
a Dataquest analyst.  Meanwhile, Sun's recent program to offer its Solaris
7.0 operating system free to developers and educational institutions is also
making inroads in the server software market.  "Where the Solaris giveaway
will eat up market share is Windows and NT on PCs," says the group marketing
manager for Solaris.  Sun is also reinforcing the Linux system by licensing
its source code for the Java Development and Compatibility Kits.  "That's a
good combo, Linux and Java," says a former SunSoft programmer who's now
working on a Linux port.  "They both cater to quick, more simple types of
applications. Getting Java on Linux is one of the items I've felt Linux
needs to make into the enterprise."  (TechWeb 29 Oct 98)

Next Technical Meeting: January, 1999 (details TBA)