tlug: Re: Perl Cookbook

At [Mon, 26 Oct 1998 21:12:42 +0900]
Maynard Hogg <maynard@example.com> wrote:

> Who are the authors? As I recall from a recent blurb, Wall and
> disciple are merely advisers to the project.

Here's the review I referred to.

==========================

 From: TipWorld <tips@example.com>
 To: gossip@example.com
 Date: Mon, 24 Aug 1998 11:08:56 PDT
 Subject: PERLS OF COOKING WISDOM
---------------- Original body follows ----------------
PERLS OF COOKING WISDOM

Need the right recipe for the right Common Gateway Interface (CGI)?
Need it in the Perl scripting language? Then you need Tom Christiansen
and Nathan Torkington's new "Perl Cookbook," to be published by
O'Reilly and Associates.

The "Perl Cookbook" is a comprehensive collection of problems,
solutions, and practical examples for anyone programming in Perl. As
told to Herr Crust, the "Perl Cookbook" is "more than just a
collection of tips and tricks," it also functions as a companion to
their earlier "Programming Perl" book, and the new book is filled with
previously unpublished Perl arcana.

The publishers tell Your Scripting Seafood that the "Perl Cookbook"
contains thousands of examples ranging from brief one-liners to
complete applications. Covered topics, spread across nearly four
hundred "recipes," include:

 - Manipulation of strings, numbers, dates, arrays, and hashes
- Reading, writing, and updating text and binary files
- Pattern matching and text substitutions
- Subroutines, libraries, and modules
- References, data structures, objects, and classes
- Signals and exceptions
- Accessing text, hashed, and SQL databases
- Screen addressing, menus, and graphical applications
- Writing secure scripts
- Client-server programming
- Internet applications programming with mail, news, ftp, and telnet
- CGI programming and Web automation

And to make sure that no recipe produces a flat, tasteless, and
downright yucky result, the recipes included in the "Perl Cookbook"
were rigorously reviewed by scores of the best minds inside and
outside Perl, such as Larry Wall, the language's creator.

The 794-page book lists for $39.95.

Maynard Hogg <maynard@example.com> <-- Perfectly valid, but...
Next Technical Meeting: January, 1999 (details TBA)