Re: tlug: Netscape major 'OOPS'!

Scott Stone writes:
 > On 26 Oct 1998, Totoro wrote:
 >
 > > Scott Stone <sstone@example.com> writes:
 > >

 > > > when making the TL RPMs... oh well.  4.5 glibc is still a memory hog, but
 > > > it seems like it's fairly non-leaky - ie, it gobbles ~20MB and stays at
 > > > that, and doesn't grow out of control like 4.06 glibc could/did.
 > >
 > > Try taking it out to a heavy-duty java site like this one:
 > >
 > > http://ww.npac.syr.edu/projects/vishuman/VisibleHuman.html
 > >
 > > Just for fun I ran 4.5-glibc on it, and bang! It jumped up to
 > > 41 MB of memory use. Personally, I like the speed and better
 > > stability of 4.5, but ya gotta watch the memory on this pup.
 > > Maybe that's part of the new style of security for NS, since
 > > you have to kill it every little while (thereby clearing out
 > > the cache...).
 >

 > how about the libc5 version of NS 4.5?  Is it any better?

I think it is. On that site give above it uses about 21MB. It seems
fairly stable.

Marcus

Dr. Marcus Metzler
Department of Physics    | $B")(B $B#2#7#4!<#8#5#1#0(B
Toho University          | $B@example.com)A%66;T;0;3#2!<#2!<#1(B
Miyama 2-2-1, Funabashi, | $BElK.Bg3X(B  $BM}3XIt(B  $BJ*M}(B
Chiba 274-8510           |
Japan			 |
e-mail : mocm@example.com