tlug: Split the list?

Maybe it's time to start thinking about weakly subdividing the TLUG
mailing list?  I don't have any particular moral involvement in this
notion, but it seems like it would be a pragmatic step to take at this
point in time.

There are lots of ways the split could be managed, but it might be
interesting to looking at an experimental automated split by content; mail
coming through would receive a header flagging which (initially imaginary)
list or lists it would end up in.  If it comes right, folks could then
send to the same address (tlug@example.com), but select content that they want to
have from the list (tlug-techno@example.com, tlug-philo@example.com, tlug-adhominum@example.com).  It's
nothing more than a mail filter, of course, but together the group can do
a better job of making the thing function than any single user.  It could
save a lot of people a lot of time in the long run.

Might keep the list from falling apart too, who knows.

I'm not volunteering anything more than the idea, just yet :) -- although
I'll be happy to send along my own mail-splitting extensions to
Gnus to anyone who's interested :)

Concerning recent spats ...

A few months ago, I foolishly let a comment of Kei Furuuchi get under my
skin, and spent a day or so wasting time with fuming.  This was a
COMPLETE waste of time, and if I directed any sharp words toward him, I
hope that I apologized.

But for the record, I found much of what Karl-Max had to say about
Japan and the Japanese language to be offensive in the extreme.
I'll not say more, on the list or privately, unless there is a
strong reason, but I certainly don't hold it against anyone
that took him up in strong terms.  If you come on with a caustic
attitude, you had better be ready to take as good as you dish out.
Technical expertise does not (note that this is a _descriptive_, not
a normative assertion) earn anyone exemptions on that score.

In an ideal world, such mail should "go private", of course, but these
things do happen.

As Steve McQueen said in Cool Hand Luke, "What we have here is a failure
of communication".

Cheers,
Frank B